Tuesday, October 2, 2012

It's all about me... I mean Him... I mean me...


Source: Uploaded by user via Teena on Pinterest
My friend Kinsy and I were having a deep discussion about prayer and our "calling". How often do our prayers include requests that God banish our fears, fill us with peace, solve our every problem? If I were an opera singer this is where I would interject "ME ME ME ME!!!" Why do we tend to think God has failed, or at the very least , forgotten us when life gets hard? Kinsy shared from Max Lucado's Revelation study this little sumpin' sumpin' that might crack you over the head like it did me:

--The world doesn't revolve around us. Our comfort is not God's priority. If it is, something's gone awry. God does not exist to make a big deal out of us. We exist to make a big deal out of him. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's ALL about HIM.--

We, as weak humans, never want it to hurt or for life to get down and dirty. But put us at the height of a spiritual revelation and we exclaim "Ooh ahh, THIS is what God called ME to do." ...again I puff myself up and along comes Oswald Chambers to 'nudge' my perspective with that needle he often uses to take the wind out of MY sails:

--"For one radiant flashing moment we see His purpose , and we say 'Here i am, send ME!!' This call has nothing to do with PERSONAL SANCTIFICATION, but with being made broken bread and poured out wine. Yet God can never make us into wine if we object to the fingers HE chooses to use to crush us. We say "If only He would use His own fingers, and make me broken bread and poured out wine in a special way, then I wouldn't object!" But when He uses someone we dislike, or some set of circumstances to which we said we would NEVER submit, to crush us, then we object."-- (My Utmost for His Highest)

What is it that makes us continually sing our "ME ME ME ME" song? Why is it so hard to die to ourselves and just give all the glory to God? What is with our self-centered incessant need to always be all that and a bag of chips? We want to be the sun, the moon and all the stars. If only we could just be the moon:

The moon models our role.

What does the moon do? She generates no light. Contrary to the lyrics of the song, this harvest moon cannot shine on. Apart from the sun, the moon is nothing more than a pitch black, pockmarked rock. But properly positioned, the moon beams. Let her do what she was made to do, and a clod of dirt becomes a source of inspiration, yea, verily, romance. The moon reflects a greater light. And she is happy to do so! You never hear the moon complaining. She makes no waves about making waves. Let the cow jump over her or astronauts step on her; she never objects. Even though sunning is accepted while mooning is the butt of bad jokes, you won't hear ol' Cheese-face grumble. The moon is at peace in her place. And because she is, soft light touches a dark earth. What would happen if we accepted our place as SON reflectors? (From It's Not About Me by Max Lucado)

Let me be content to be nothing more than a pitch black, pock-marked rock, reflecting a little soft light on a dark earth.

I’m a 57 year old wife, mother, grandmother and farmer. These tags are important to me, yes they define me, but they don’t incapsulate who I am. I love God, my family and dear friends. I love to garden, cook and talk to my chickens, and in the midst of all of that…I SEE SQUIRRELS! So I’ll use this page to sort that out…. or not. I am the queen of fragmented/run away sentences and my use of …… is it’s own punctuation. I like to write as if no one is reading… which shouldn’t be a problem.


2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Cindy. I absolutely love this. It is all about decresing so He can increase.....

    BAM! It's good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bam is right! I love how you put things...we are but pitted moon rocks! He chooses to use us and include us in His glorious plans! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...