Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Surrender in the Fire...



It’s so crazy when you think you are really being tested, only to find you truly had no idea just how hot the furnace can get.  One of our sons, diagnosed in junior high with Asperger’s Syndrome, sits tonight in his own furnace.  As a 5 year old he was diagnosed with OCD, depression, and ADHD.  We’ve had a very long 16 years, seeking answers and help in many realms.  Grace has been abundant and answers have been few.

Our son is going into his second week locked up, with serious charges against him.  Our local paper did a sufficient job of sensationalizing a personal tragedy.  My husband and I were in Mexico celebrating our 20th anniversary when the incident occurred.  We came back home days later and had our world rocked beyond anything we could have imagined.

My life is full of paradox: My mother’s heart feels shattered, yet God is holding me together.
I am weak and my brain doesn’t really want to function properly, yet He is strong.
My son may never come home again, yet I pray that He will know God as his shelter.

I grieve, but there is still joy. 

There are moments in my day where I feel about to crumble and I want to crawl into my bed and sob. I am relentlessly clinging to God because without Him, I could not even breathe and without Him and I can’t be the mother my kids need me to be. My heart feels so torn between wanting to sink into my sadness for just a while and to shed tears for what has been lost. The visits with Andrew are short and in a room full of people and I just want to hold him in my arms like I did when he was little. I hate letting go when the time is up, knowing that he is so ill equipped to handle being where he is, yet it is what God has allowed. I think of him so much when I go to bed, only a few miles away and untouchable. We all have prayed together every night as a family since the kids were little. I wonder if he still says his prayers when he goes to bed and I want to so much to ruffle his hair and tell him I love him before he falls asleep.

Was their 16th birthday party the last they will share? Was that our last Christmas together as a whole family? Only God knows those answers and I’m trying to stop my heart from asking those questions.

The real questions are:
Will my kids see me live out all my words about God for the last 16 years?
Will I still say “yes” to the God who allows suffocating pain?
Is my endurance so far just shock and will I fall apart completely when it completely subsides?
Do I trust and love God, no matter what?

My answers:I will die trying, yes, I really hope not, and 100% yes.
I want to say, like Job, though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Not that God wants to slay us, but we live a life that has no guarantees for tomorrow. We go about our lives so often thinking that we will have as many days as we choose, with all the people we choose. Really, it’s a vapor.

One thing I now know, after living through a variety of heartaches in my 43 years…I will not waste my pain. I cannot waste my pain. I will fight for God’s glory in every circumstance. I have been telling my kids, as I did the day we arrived back home to a life turned upside down…”Stay close to God as we walk this road. If we do, God can grow us and change us. We can become stronger and wiser. If we keep God at arm’s length (in anger or rebellion), or just try to Lone Ranger it (until we REALLY need Him), we will miss out.” I am learning that we can truly see His glory while standing in the furnace. One thing we must remember when we hear the fire roar and feel the heat upon our faces...there is Another in the midst of it all.

“Show mercy upon me, God, because it is in you that my soul hopes, and in the shadow of your wings I shall have refuge until trouble passes.” Psalm 57:1

 

12 comments:

  1. Jami-Lifting your son up in prayer to a God who knows him better than anyone. Lifting your family up to have the strength and courage to play your part-no more, no less. May you have peace today, and joy in knowing that the most important job you have is to love. I can tell you already do that well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiring person and mother. I am praying for your family and know that God will provide for you in this time of need. Thank you for sharing something so raw and painfull. My life is ever blessed by the posts here and knowing that I can be raw and real helps me know know I am on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour... Isaiah 43:2-3
    I am praying for your son and your whole family, He is ALWAYS in control! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jami Ronda,

    That was so wonderfully and vulnerably written. I have tried so many times to sit down and write something of encouragement, love, or anything that might sound supportive. I have found I struggle as I just don't know what to say. You know what you are to do, you know what will make it through this trial, you get it!!! Most do not get it! It's like when you hold onto something...say a pen, and you grip and grip and grip and then after a bit you literally cannot let go!!!! (all you out there dying to try...do it) Grab onto the Lord and hold on tight...He won't go anywhere...He never has!!! I just pray for the redemption of your family and knowing that one day God will make all wrong things right!!! God I pray for mercy to triumph over what humans think justice looks like! I pray for righteousness and truth to overtake all those involved in this case. I pray that the scales would fall from the eyes of those blinded by their own human ideas!!!! AMEN. Love you Jami!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, powerful post. I'm sorry for the valley you are walking through, but applaud the determination to cling to the Lord and bring Him glory no matter what. Praying for Andrew and the whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know God gave you promises for ALL of your children when they were little. Its never what it looks like only what Jesus says! He has seen everything that has lead up to this point and I KNOW Gods Glory will be revealed soon. These are not just words, its what I truly believe.
    psalm 63:3
    Because your loving kindness is better than LIFE my lips shall praise thee.
    Heather C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jami you amaze me... I don't know if I could be as strong as you have been through this! Thank you for sharing and I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jami- I sit here and my heart hurts. I am praying for you and your son and your family. I am asking God to lift you up today and here on out and to have courage and strength to grow together through this season. love you friend. Mindy~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jami - you have been an inspiration and a role-model to me ever since I first met you....watching yours and Steve's faith lived out while you were uber-preggo, and then watching from half-way across the country as you raised your four sweet kiddos. Now you are STILL an inspiration and a role-model to me as you are so willing to share the pain, the hurt, and the hope and trust that you have in God. You are in our thoughts and prayers!!! This blog-post is definitely applicable to my life right now as well. Thanks for continuing to direct others BACK to God's Word and God's truth!!!! Love you!!!

    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to say thank you for the prayers, it means the world to us and I feel them. It was sort of terrifying to put this all into words and then I held my breath when Linz said she was posting it. As I consider what God is putting on my heart about blogging through this-and how much it scares me to be that real about this-your words here have been a sweet kindness to my heart. I want to obey, even when I'm afraid...especially when when I am afraid. Which is why Lindsay's heart in beginning this blog moved has moved me so much and impacted my walk with God. Thank you for helping me feel a little more fearless than I was this morning! <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Your words spoke right to my heart. I needed to hear everything you had to say regarding your commitment to the Lord and your willingness not to give up even through the worst of the storm. I have been in a storm myself and have gotten caught up in being emotional instead of being faithful. I have let go of God a bit through my struggle. Your words brought life to my situation and an encouragement to not let go of God. I know this truth in my head, but need to live it out in my life. So, as hard as your situation is...please know that it has changed on life...my life. To hear your faith in the Lord makes me long to go back to where I was before my storm. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love you James....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...